Monday, February 17, 2014

SHOPPING: Purchase With A Purpose

Hi friends!

This past Saturday, I attended a conference focused around the subject of reducing exploitation and putting an end to human trafficking. Gosh, it was so good. The Lord moved in many powerful ways. 


One of my favorite features of the conference was the exhibitor tables. Translation: TIME TO SHOP! An entire gym was filled with resources and merchandise from various global ministries that somehow played a part in fighting modern day slavery, preventing trafficking, feeding the hungry, international adoptions, serving the poor, and most of all, spreading the love of Jesus. If you know me well, you know I'm all over that stuff! I walked past each table in awe. I must have grabbed about a jillion pamphlets and flyers out of sheer excitement. Every booth had something unique to offer. Seriously, I felt like a kid in a candy store. #churchnerd


I'm getting side-tracked.


So like I said, it was time to shop. The great part about buying from these vendors is the idea of purchasing with a purpose. Each one of these accessories and pieces of clothing were handmade in poor nations by either a single mom desperate to support her child, an ex-human trafficking victim, or a woman receiving fair pay for her work when most of the others are being used as slaves. And because I'm a total girl, I feel the pressing need to tell you everything I bought and where it came from:

Feeding the Orphans (FTO) // Ghana

I love this ministry for many reasons, but I also have a true love for their products. Everything is made in Ghana to support their people and provide food for orphans. Their shop has tons of merchandise from bags to jewelry to t-shirts. And come on, aren't these headbands totes adorbs?!


Peace Makers Crafts // Mindanao, Philippines
Okay, I love earrings. Fancy ones, classy ones, simple ones, giant ones... I collect them all. Even though my love for Charming Charlie runs deep, I would much rather choose to buy my earrings from women in the Philippines for fair trade. So on Saturday, I got three different pairs of these babies. There are some gorg designs and each pair are super high quality. The earrings below are made with real pearls. That's LEGIT, people! Check more out on their Etsy page.


Divine Chocolate
You had me at hello. For real, how do you ever deny chocolate? And fair trade chocolate?? Even better. Do yourself a favor and go buy some.


Amazima Ministries // Uganda
After reading Kisses from Katie, I checked out her ministry, Amazima, online and found their little shop. So for Christmas, I got some jewelry, WOOT. Women in Masese hand-crafted these necklaces and bracelets and because of our purchase, they have a job. So lovely.



International Princess Project // India
Who loves pajamas? I certainly do! Well, International Princess Project is a ministry that employs women who are coming out of the sex trade industry and guess what they sell... punjammies! Love. Each pair are so bright and colorful and "made with hope in India". Sweet!



And that concludes my little tour of ministry shopping. I encourage you to check out each one of these organizations. Even if you don't feel like buying stuff or spending money right now, save all of the links! Go crazy at Christmas time! These are great gift ideas and like I've been emphasizing over and over... they're a purchase with a purpose!

Love you all,



2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I'm going to check a few of these out! Thanks for compiling them. Another neat one that is very near and dear to my heart:
    http://madebysurvivors.com/
    ~Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, there! So glad you found this. Isn't it wonderful to shop without guilt, knowing your purchase benefits others? Love that. Thank you for sharing!

    Xo,
    Ashton

    ReplyDelete