Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Review + The Love Chapter

Happy Monday, friends!

This past Friday, my sweet (adopted) Auntie Kim and I complete our study through the book Preparing To Be A Help Meet by Debi Pearl. My, oh my, was I blessed!


Our last meeting called for matching nails, of course.

This book really emphasizes the importance of becoming the right kind of gal your perfect man is looking for, rather than just hunting for Prince Charming. Love that. The content covers simple ways young women can prepare to be a wife, from learning to be a servant in your home to planning your wedding. It is geared toward girls who are dating or engaged, but I believe it blesses single girls as well as married women as well! Many powerful testimonies of love stories are shared throughout the text, which is so fun. Totally a great study to do with a group of girls all seeking the Lord. Pearl summarizes the book on its final pages by saying this: 

"Walk in truth and job, become a servant, study and learn all manner of different skills, practice honoring those in authority over you, and pray for every man you know who seeks the Lord; pray that these men have the heart to labor for the harvest."

So good. I highly recommend it.

Anyways, Valentine's Day is coming up! Perfect time for the love chapter, right? Well it's pretty typical of like everyone to quote I Corinthians 13 in February or at every single wedding on the planet, but this passage is reeeaalllyyy good. It's not talking about this kind of lovey-dovey fluffy love that is a feeling. No. This is God's love. This is agape. And He calls us to love this way whether there is a heart on the calendar or not.

Our final little journal prompt in Help Meet was to write I Corinthians 13:1-8 in our own words:

"You know, I could speak in tongues but without love, it would simply be loud racket. Sure, I might have the gift of prophecy and possess all wisdom and understanding and have great faith that can move mountains. But what good is all of that without love? I am nothing without it. Even if I sold all of my belongings to give to the poor and sacrificed my life, I gain zilch. Love truly acts with patience and kindness, and has no hint of envy, boating, pride, dishonor, selfishness, quick anger, record of iniquities, and delight in evil. What love really does in rejoice in truth, bare all things, believe, hope, and endure through it all. This kind of love never fails."
{paraphrased}

His love never fails.

With that, Happy (early) Valentine's Day! Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment